According to the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Collection at Wayne State University’s Walter Reuther Library archives, the hospital in Farmington known up until that time as the Michigan Hospital School for Crippled Children merged with Children’s Free Hospital and was then operated under the name of Michigan Convalescent Home.
Heard at the August meeting of the Southeast Michigan Post Polio Support Group — one person recalled hearing that the records from the Sister Kenny Polio Hospital were given to the Sister Kenny Foundation. Certain of those records have made their way to the Bentley Historical Library at the University of Michigan.
According to the History reference of the Kenny R.E.H.A.B. Records at the Bentley Historical Library, the Farmington branch of the Sister Kenny Polio Hospital closed in 1958. The question remains, when did it open? If we can determine during what period the Sister Kenny Polio Hospital operated on the site, we may be able to narrow which former patients may find their records at Bentley.