The Rotary Club of Detroit graciously hosted Kim Gimmarro, Reunion Coordinator, for a presentation on the early history of the Botsford Commons campus. Attendees were treated to a history of the early children’s hospital, dating back to 1919 – followed by recollections from former patients.
The Club was asked to search their memories and contacts for any individuals who might be able to assist with locating the patient records for the children’s hospital, which ceased operation over 50 years ago! These records are so vitally needed by the former patients, particularly those that are now facing life with Post Polio Syndrome. Anyone with information can contact Kimberly Gimmarro at (248) 426-6951 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Rotary Club was also notified of our next Reunion date.
Our thanks to the Farmington Rotary Club for the opportunity to share with them on April 21, 2009, the early history of Botsford Commons, which includes the history of the local children’s hospital – a hospital which treated debilitating childhood illnesses including polio and tuberculosis.
Their members are involved in Rotary International’s campaign to End Polio Now..
On March 6, 2009, the Rotarians of the Rotary Club of West Bloomfield were presented the history of the early children’s hospital, including photographs from the Botsford Commons collection, and the Farmington Community Library Heritage Collection.
One member mentioned she had been sent to the hospital in her younger years as she was about to assist with fundraising for polio research, and the fundraising organizer felt she should see first hand what happened to the children that were unfortunate enough to have that diagnosis.
The Rotary Club of West Bloomfield is raising Pennies for Polio and was invited to attend our Reunion with this effort. We’re happy to support Rotary in their efforts to raise funds to meet Rotary International’s goal of worldwide polio eradication.
Tags: Pennies for Polio, Rotary
On Thursday, January 29, 2009, Generations at Botsford members were treated to a bit of local Farmington history…the story of the Michigan Hospital School! The campus which once served as a Farmington base for this hospital is now Botsford Commons Senior Community. Two of the three original hospital buildings remain — the Albert Kahn-designed buildings. The hospital dates back to 1919, and finds its origins in the late 1800s in a woman by the name of Blanche Van Leuven Browne. Original photographs, discovered in recent years in storage spaces, were available for viewing — and what a story they told! For more information, contact Kimberly Gimmarro at (248) 426-6951 or email@example.com.
On Wednesday, October 22, 2008, Kimberly Gimmarro, Executive Assistant and campus historian for Botsford Commons, delivered a presentation on the history of the Farmington children’s hospital at the October meeting of the Farmington Historical Society.
Many thanks to Brian Golden, President of the Farmington Historical Society for both the invitation to share, and for his work at the Reunion event on September 13, 2008. Mr. Golden videotaped the entire event, including selected narrative responses provided by the former patients during the “remember your hospital,” narrative part of the event.
Tags: Farmington Historical Society